- You can save up to 5% in heating costs for each degree that you lower your thermostat in the 60°F to 70°F range.
- Wear warm clothing and set the thermostat to 68° (20°C) or lower during the day and evening, health permitting.
- Set the thermostat to 55° (13°C) or off when leaving home for a long time or at night to save 5% to 20%. (Heat pumps should only be set back 2° [1°C] to prevent unneeded use of backup strip heating.)
- Dirty filters restrict airflow and increase energy use; replace or clean furnace filters monthly. Keeping your furnace clean, lubricated and properly adjusted will reduce energy use up to 5%.
- To save 7% to 11% in water-heating costs, reduce the hot water temperature. Set it to 120° (49°C) unless your dishwasher requires a higher setting. Insulate the first five feet of pipe coming out of the top of your water heater.
Originally posted 2016-11-21 09:00:36.