Tim Hance, owner of All Islands Home Inspections, recently discovered dangerously low overhead electrical service entrance conductors that were a clear safety issue at a recent home inspection in Friday Harbor, WA. Additionally, these older wires were unconventionally run alongside the home’s exterior and vulnerable to mechanical damage. A qualified electrician was recommended to further evaluate and make necessary repairs for safety reasons.
So, you’ve decided it’s time to finally get a hot tub! It’s important to install wiring serving the hot tub properly for obvious safety reasons. Pictured here is wiring simply run in the grass to the hot tub appliance. Hopefully it doesn’t get hit by a lawn mower or someone doesn’t trip over it! Wiring should be sleeved in conduit, run underground to the hot tub and have a GFCI-protected subpanel installed within sight of the hot tub and readily accessible. Also, any and all wiring modifications or additions at a home require a permit and inspection through the Department of Labor & Industries. This was discovered at a recent home inspection in Mount Vernon.
Open wires, like those pictured here, need to be secured and properly terminated/enclosed in a covered junction box or have the appropriate fixture installed for obvious safety reasons. This is called out frequently at home inspections and with real estate appraisals. It’s a simple, straightforward repair. These pictures were taken at a recent home inspection in Anacortes on Fidalgo Island.
At an older home inspection in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, the home was advertised with “updated wiring.” Unfortunately, when I got into the crawl space and attic areas, I noted numerous unprofessional wire splices like that pictured here which are signs of handyman wiring practices and a definite safety issue. I recommend further evaluation and repair by a qualified electrician.
Electrical wiring needs to be protected where it enters junction boxes for appliances and fixtures. Pictured here is wiring vulnerable to mechanical damage, a safety issue. A simple bushing can be installed in this application to protect wiring and keep the house safe. Wiring practices like these suggest the fixture wasn’t professionally installed and should be further evaluated and repaired by a qualified electrician. This photograph was taken at a recent home inspection on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands.