- On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun.
- The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.
- The bagpipe was originally made from the whole skin of a dead sheep.
- In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.
- Bananas are more effective in replenishing electrolytes than Gatorade. They also have serotonin and dopamine—chemicals that help you feel happy.
- Every time you lick a USPS stamp, you ingest about 10 percent of a calorie. British stamps, however, contain about 5.9 calories. Israeli stamps are kosher.
- Laughing boosts the immune system, burns calories and reduces stress hormones, making it a very healthy activity.
- The first U.S. town to be completely lit by electric streetlights was Wabash, Indiana, in 1880. It had a population of 320 at the time.
- Pablo Picasso carried a revolver loaded with blanks, which he would fire at whoever asked him what his work “meant.”
- Artist Ivan Albright was so meticulous, he often worked with a single-haired brush and would spend whole days working on 1 square inch of canvas.
- Simply taking 1 step uses over 200 muscles in the body.
- In 1992, 29,000 rubber ducks were lost at sea, and they are still being discovered in unexpected places.
- The average bolt of lightning contains enough energy to toast 100,000 pieces of bread.
- The eyeball is the only organism which does not grow from birth. It is fully grown when you are born.
- The average person walks the equivalent of 5 laps around the world during their lifetime.
7.5 million toothpicks can be created from a cord of wood.
The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland’s baby daughter, Ruth.
Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
The word “nerd” was first coined by Dr. Seuss in “If I Ran the Zoo.”
Karoke means “empty orchestra” in Japanese.
The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.
Mary Stuart became Queen of Scotland when she was only six days old.
The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; “7” was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. “UP” indicated the direction of the bubbles.
If you lift a kangaroo’s tail off the ground, it cannot hop.
Movie trailers were originally shown after the feature film, which is why they are called “trailers.”
Heart attacks are more likely to happen on a Monday.
In 2017, more people were killed from injuries caused by taking selfies than by shark attacks.
In Switzerland, it is illegal to own just one guinea pig. This is because guinea pigs are social animals, and they are considered victims of abuse if they are alone.
In 2015, more people were killed from injuries caused by taking a selfie than by shark attacks.
King Henry VIII slept with a gigantic axe beside him.
Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
- Alaska law says that you can’t look at a moose from an airplane.
- Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
- Approximately 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
- You’ll eat more than 35,000 cookies in your lifetime (probably).
- Space smells like a combination of diesel fuel and barbecue, according to astronauts. The smell is caused by dying stars.
- Rapunzel, Rapunzel! A single strand of hair can hold up to 3 ounces of weight. That means the typical person’s full head of hair can support up to 12 tons.
- Cornell University scientists have created a functioning guitar the size of a human blood cell.
- Many oranges are green when they’re ripe. Scientists remove their chlorophyll to make them more appealing to North American consumers.