- Clean and vacuum dust from vents, baseboard heaters and cold-air returns.
- Check the heating system (include filters, pilot lights and burners) and have it serviced by a qualified professional.
- Inspect storm windows for deterioration and repair as necessary.
- While it’s still warm enough to leave the windows open, it’s a good time to paint indoor rooms and shampoo or replace carpets.
- If you have window air-conditioning units, remove and store them. If they are not removable, cover them to protect them over the winter.
- Check to make sure that soil around the foundation slopes four to six inches for a distance of three feet out from the foundation.
- There are often year-end close-out sales on lawn and garden equipment in the fall. Look for a few bargains.
Originally posted 2014-09-02 19:42:35.