Selecting a new heating system can be complex. However, if you do your homework and talk to licensed heating/cooling professionals, a new system can make your home more comfortable and reduce energy costs.
- Usually it is more energy- and cost-efficient to replace systems older than about 15 years.
- The system you choose will depend on local climate, home size, amount of insulation, and the heating/cooling usage patterns.
- Look for an ENERGY STAR® label.
- Furnaces are rated by annual fuel-utilization efficiency (AFUE). High-efficiency units are rated above 90 percent.
- If choosing an air-source heat pump, look for one with a SEER of 13 or greater and a heating season performance factor (HSPF) of 7 or more.