October means it’s about to get cold and brings with it lots of homeowner tasks. Among other things, remember to:
- Check the roof for loose, cracked or missing shingles.
- Trim tree limbs away from the roof and windows.
- Check weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows and repair or replace as necessary.
- Store paints, caulks and liquid materials in warmer areas or remove from unheated areas and sheds.
- Detach and store hoses.
- Clean gutters after most of the leaves have fallen and make sure downspouts and gutter extensions are in good repair.
- Set thermostats and automatic sprinklers for winter.
- Reverse fan blades for winter settings.
- Ensure that gauges on home fire extinguishers indicate a full charge. Replace if necessary.