If you are on a sewage system, backed up sewers can wreak havoc on a home, causing thousands of dollars in damage to floors, walls, furniture and electrical systems. Sewer backup coverage is available from most insurers for a nominal cost—usually an additional annual premium of $40-$50. Here are some hints to prevent sewer backups:
- Never pour grease down the drain (it turns into solid and blocks pipes).
- Don’t flush those solids! (diapers, hygiene products, or non-soluables).
- Avoid throwing wet wipes into the toilet (even if “flushable” they can still clog).
- Beware long hair! Hair is a major cause of pipe blockage; throw it in the trash.
- Never throw paper towels down the toilet. They don’t break down easily and can clog.
- Keep an eye on large trees near sewer lines. Their roots can breaks in pipes.