Inspecting a home in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island today, I happened upon this “friendly” raccoon! So friendly, in fact, that I had some difficulty getting around the exterior inspection without having to whisk the creature away from time to time. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to animals, so never a dull moment inspecting that’s for sure!
In Switzerland, it is illegal to own just one guinea pig. This is because guinea pigs are social animals, and they are considered victims of abuse if they are alone.
In 2015, more people were killed from injuries caused by taking a selfie than by shark attacks.
King Henry VIII slept with a gigantic axe beside him.
Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
- Alaska law says that you can’t look at a moose from an airplane.
- Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
- Approximately 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
- You’ll eat more than 35,000 cookies in your lifetime (probably).
- Space smells like a combination of diesel fuel and barbecue, according to astronauts. The smell is caused by dying stars.
- Rapunzel, Rapunzel! A single strand of hair can hold up to 3 ounces of weight. That means the typical person’s full head of hair can support up to 12 tons.
- Cornell University scientists have created a functioning guitar the size of a human blood cell.
- Many oranges are green when they’re ripe. Scientists remove their chlorophyll to make them more appealing to North American consumers.
You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.
The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; “7” was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. “UP” indicated the direction of the bubbles.
The word “nerd” was first coined by Dr. Seuss in “If I Ran the Zoo.”
Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
Sharks evolved about 450 million years ago about 3 times ago longer than dinosaurs.
Every person has a unique tongue print.
Pandas have lived on Earth for two to three million years.
In ten years, the average man shaves off a pound of whiskers.
The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.”
It would take a sloth one month to travel one mile.
You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
Coca-Cola would be green if coloring wasn’t added to it.
A single cloud can weigh more than 1 million pounds.
1 in 5,000 north Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue.
There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.
Every year about 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced.
The Australian $5 to $100 notes are made of plastic.
Awesome use of dead space under stairs for storage! I took this video at a recent inspection and thought I’d share the great idea. Hope you find it useful and can incorporate into your home!
Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day.
The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.
The Neanderthal’s brain was bigger than yours is.
Mario, of Super Mario Bros. fame, appeared in the 1981 arcade game, Donkey Kong. His original name was Jumpman, but was changed to Mario to honor the Nintendo of America’s landlord, Mario Segali.